Re: pseudo-elements and *

Ian Hickson writes:

> >> No, because the ::first-line pseudo-element is only matched by the first,
> >> not the second. So the second takes precedence.
> >
> > I see no evidence of that anywhere in the specification...
> > On the contrary, I think that the second rule should override
> > the first one.
>
> Think about:
>
>    P { content: 'hello'; }
>
> ...or:
>
>    H1 { border: solid; }
>
> See also section 5.3.

> >> This is actually unrelated, but they do (pseudo-elements have a
> >> specificity of 001).
> >
> > Not in the actual CSS 2 Rec. . Pseudo-elements have 000 for
> > the moment (from section 6.4.3) :
>
> Oh, right. This is a contradiction that I mentioned a a few months
> back, see:

As long as there is only at most one pseudo-element per selector, it
doesn't matter whether you assign a specificity to them. Selectors
with a pseudo-element never compete with selectors without, because
they don't apply to the same elements.

    :first-line { color: red }   /* specificity 000 */
    #x1 #x2 { color: black }     /* specificity 200 */

The first line will still be red.

  http://www.w3.org/people/bos/                              W3C/INRIA