Re: pseudo-elements and *

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000, Daniel Glazman wrote:
>>> P::first-line { color :red }
>>> P { color : black }
>>
>> No, because the ::first-line pseudo-element is only matched by the first,
>> not the second. So the second takes precedence.
>
> I see no evidence of that anywhere in the specification...
> On the contrary, I think that the second rule should override
> the first one.

Think about:

   P { content: 'hello'; }

...or:

   H1 { border: solid; }

See also section 5.3.

>>> It suggests that pseudo-elements have an impact on specificity...
>>
>> This is actually unrelated, but they do (pseudo-elements have a
>> specificity of 001).
>
> Not in the actual CSS 2 Rec. . Pseudo-elements have 000 for
> the moment (from section 6.4.3) :

Oh, right. This is a contradiction that I mentioned a a few months
back, see:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Jan/0074.html

--
Ian Hickson                                     )\     _. - ._.)       fL
Netscape, Standards Compliance QA              /. `- '  (  `--'