Re: Inline h*ll

Matthew Brealey wrote:

> The problem occurs with something like:
> P {line-height: 1.4;
> background: green}
> SPAN.insideP {background: red}
> SPAN.insideP's background would look stupid - it wouldn't be lined uo with
> the top of the line box.

For whatever it's worth, I agree that CSS's current background model
isn't very good. The padding/border on inline elements are apparently
expressly decoupled from the line box calculations, and this could lead
to strange visual effects.

Håkon apparently wishes to keep the line box model as simple as
possible, and I understand that.

However, the author may also wish to have finer control over the border.
He may want to draw it as tightly as possible around the text, i.e. zero
or little vertical space between text and border.

But all of this can be addressed in the future, I think. Right now, it
is important to get the basics nailed down first. What I mean is that
the current documents on the Web rarely use inline borders, whereas
underlines are very common, as is text at certain sizes. So, font-size,
font box model, underline, and so on, should be addressed first.

(Mozilla applies CSS style sheets (the UA style sheet) to HTML documents
even when those documents don't contain *any* CSS.)

Erik