Re: Inline h*ll

--- Ian Hickson <py8ieh@bath.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2000, Matthew Brealey wrote:
> > Another reason that this approach is better is that it associates
> > backgrounds with the line box rather than the text.
>
> This of course means that text can _easily_ flow outside the background,
> which is bad.
Not at all. Give me an example of how this could happen.

> > [...]
> > In fact, the implementation
>
> What implementation? Do you mean your suggestion?
Implementation is not synonymous with suggestion - implementation = the
CSS 2 implementation.

> > means that one cannot follow the advice in the spec that states that
> > one should always set background colours when one sets foreground
> > colours dangerous on inline elements.
>
> Why? If one does not do as the spec suggests, then one is asking for
> conflicts, meaning that text will be unreadable (e.g., black on black).
This is highly unlikely. You could probably search night and day for a
thousand years and not find someone who sets backgrounds on inlione
elements.

The reason that it is dangerous is that (particularly on A, which is very
commonly set to a different colour) if you set a background on an inline
element within a line box of different colour, the things don't get lined
up and the result looks stupid.

> > As a result, I am forced to disregard this advice.
>
> Or you could just abandon/change your proposal...
I am not referring to my proposal, but rather to the current implementation.

=====