Re: Floating objects

Ian Hickson wrote:
> Mozilla are using the prefix "-moz-" to any properties, e.g.
>
>   text-align: -moz-center;
>    -moz-rounded-corners: 43px;
>
> So you could use something like -yam- or whatever:
>
>    -yam-scrollbar: left;
>
> I believe that "-" is not a valid prefix for identifiers in CSS2, so
> this is a 'safe' extension.

Yes.

> And I believe that this is being changed
> for CSS3, with exactly this in mind: allowing a way for user agents to
> extend the language without clashing with future language extensions.
> But I would not know. Someone from the WG will have to comment...

What you are doing is exactly what was proposed, and is as you say safe.
Not all the WG agreed, though, especially those who were using
extensions already with hardcoded, non-hyphen-starting prefixes.

For those who want to strip out such extensions, programs like tidy know
how to strip out for example mso-* properties. It would be trivial to
add the capability to strip out all hypen-initial prefixes without them
having to be registered first.

--
Chris