Re: Inline h*ll

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Matthew Brealey wrote:

>> Brush up on your XML.
>>    <empty/>
>> ...and
>>    <empty></empty>
>> ...are exactly equivalent. As are
>> ...and
>> ...in XHTML.
> Not exactly - one can contain content, one cannot.

No. To a parser, the above are *exactly* the same. The generate *the
same thing* in the DOM.

> The point was that it was meaningless because we do not what
> <empty/> is - CSS does not care about what the markup used to
> specify an element is.

Right. So whether we call it <br/> or <empty/> is irrelevant.

>>> There is no way that <br> is a non-replaced element - non-replaced
>>> elements do not have width: x some of the time and width: y at
>>> others.
> What I meant was that inline non-replaced elements with given styles
> are always of the same width.

*blink*

An interesting assertion. I'd love to see what part of the spec led
you to believe _that_.

>> It may not be possible for you, but compliant CSS2 based UAs do
>> indeed interpret the HTML4 <br> empty element (<br/> in an XHTML
>> document) as an empty, non-replaced, inline element.
>> [...]
>> There are no CSS2 browsers released yet. All CSS2 browsers
>> currently in development of which I have been able to see
>> prerelease builds implement the inline box model using the
>> anonymous inline (aka root inline boxes) concept/proposal/change.
>> So yes, this is of use to them.
> Only for browsers that want to support a non-normative, non-official
> concept (and not a very good one at that, on which more anon) rather
> than a published spec.

But the only differences between David's inline box model and the
spec's is that known errors, ambiguities, and deficiencies in the spec
have been cleared up. If you implement the spec's version, then
correct the obvious problems that immediately surface, then you end up
with David's version!

--
http://www.bath.ac.uk/%7Epy8ieh/        `6_ 6  )   `-.  (     ).`-.__.`)