Re: Cursor: auto

--- Bert Bos <Bert.Bos@sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> Matthew Brealey writes:
> > auto
> > The UA determines the cursor to display based on the
> > current context.
> >
> > This seems to say that the UA can use whatever cursor
> > it likes, when it likes.
>
> Sort of, yes.

Incidentally, cursor: auto is superfluous (i.e., because of browser style
sheets - e.g., P INPUT[text]).

> > However, it is my belief that the whole of an element
> > must be subject to a given style at once, and
> > therefore that browsers (i.e., all of them) that only
> > associate cursor: pointer [why wasn't it cursor:
> > link?] with link text, rather than with its box, are
> > buggy. Although this is my belief, the CSS spec both
> > are silent on the matter, so clarification of the
> > correct approach would be appreciated.
>
> Well, we can't specify every last detail. If we would do that, either
> the spec would be 2000 pages and completely unreadable, or we would
> write the "spec" in C and be done with it.
>
> There are lots of places where we leave things to the common sense of
> the implementer or where we leave things unspecified because we don't
> know (yet) what the best way is. In this case also I would like to see
> implementers try out what the best way is. If user studies reveal that
> certain styles of cursors are better than others we may recommend
> those in the next spec.

Associations I would suggest:
text, help, pointer, grab - with inline content
all other cursors - with the box

Incidentally, the reason for the question was that I found it rather
annoying in a scripting content that cursors are only associated with the
hight of the rendered glyph rather than the theoretical height specified
by the font-size.

=====