Re: Unable to read W3C style sheet previews using IE3.02?

At 4:56 PM +0000 1/6/00, Roy.Gardiner@natwest.com wrote:
>Attempting to read
>
>http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/preview
>
>using IE4 is OK but using IE3.02 the text comes up microscopic. In
>http://www.w3.org/StyleSheets/Core/ it says that browser sniffing is used to
>select a suitable style sheet. What's wrong, anyone?

My guess is that you're using a proxy server of some kind? The
stylesheet for more nearly conformant browsers is getting stuck in
cache and sent to IE3, which chokes on it.

This is a known liability of the project, to be addressed in the
upcoming revision (yes, i know, you've heard this before).

Meanwhile, if you're willing and able to muss up your pages to
accommodate IE3, you can try some of the IE3-specific workarounds
listed from http://css.nu/pointers/ . Or you can advise IE3 users in
your organization to upgrade (to most anything except NS4.x) or turn
stylesheet "support" off in their browsers.
--
Todd Fahrner
http://style.metrius.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

  - El Lissitzky, 1923