Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

----- Original Message -----
From: Braden N. McDaniel <braden@shadow.net>
To: gordon <gordon@quartz.gly.fsu.edu>; 'www-style' <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Friday, September 10, 1999 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html.html

"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-html-in-xml-19990304/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.d
> > td">
> > > <?xml-stylesheet href="style-on-html.css"?>
> > > <head>
> > > <title>html and style.</title>
> > > </head>

> > > Run this page through the W3C validator.
> > > The results will show how to put style on the html element.

> > > where style-on-html.css has
> > >
> > > html { background-color:#806040 }
> > >
> > > Now its valid, and we can discuss whether background should apply to
> > > html or whether it only applies to its children, etc.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Chris
> > >

> > That will do.  The way that I see the basic form of an HTML document is
> that
> > the root node (html) is the wrapper for the [two] allowed child nodes
> which
> > are head and body.  The head node contains meta data that describes,
among
> > other things, the rendering of the body node contents (CSS) and
> interactions
> > with the user (scripting).  The body node contains the description of
the
> > parts of a document, where those descriptive parts are the various HTML
> > elements which contain the document [contents].
> >
> > Since the object to be rendered is contained within the body node, it is
> the
> > node to which CSS should be applied.  Were I writing a UA, the body node
> and
> > the canvas would be equivalent as the html node has historically not
been
> > rendered.
>
> If the HTML node had "historically not been rendered", we would not be
able
> to see HTML documents in browsers! The BODY and HEAD nodes are children of
> the HTML node. Thus, if the HTML node is not rendered, by definition one
> would not be able to see its children.

This is downright silly as it asserts that one faces an all-or-nothing
scenario in which case one would also render the head node as well.

> Importantly, the UA you describe would not conform to W3C Recommendations,
> since that is not what they specify.

"The body of a document contains the document's content. The content may be
presented by a user agent in a variety of ways. For example, for visual
browsers, you can think of the body as a canvas where the content appears:
text, images, colors, graphics, etc. "

Sound familiar?  It should, since it's from 7.5.1 The BODY element, HTML 4.0
Specification W3C Recommendation 18-Dec-1997.