Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
To: gordon <gordon@quartz.gly.fsu.edu>
Cc: 'www-style' <www-style@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: Minor error in CSS2, section 14.2; 'background'

> gordon wrote:
> >
> > Easy enough.
> >
> > A document with style added to the html element:
> > http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html.html
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html.html
> >
> > The same document with the style attribute removed:
> > http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html2.html
> > http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://gly.fsu.edu/~gordon/html2.html
> >
> > [please note that these are very simple documents!]
>
> But this is valid:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-html-in-xml-19990304/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.d
td">
> <?xml-stylesheet href="style-on-html.css"?>
> <head>
> <title>html and style.</title>
> </head>

> Run this page through the W3C validator.
> The results will show how to put style on the html element.

> where style-on-html.css has
>
> html { background-color:#806040 }
>
> Now its valid, and we can discuss whether background should apply to
> html or whether it only applies to its children, etc.
>
> --
> Chris

That will do.  The way that I see the basic form of an HTML document is that
the root node (html) is the wrapper for the [two] allowed child nodes which
are head and body.  The head node contains meta data that describes, among
other things, the rendering of the body node contents (CSS) and interactions
with the user (scripting).  The body node contains the description of the
parts of a document, where those descriptive parts are the various HTML
elements which contain the document [contents].

Since the object to be rendered is contained within the body node, it is the
node to which CSS should be applied.  Were I writing a UA, the body node and
the canvas would be equivalent as the html node has historically not been
rendered.

later,
gordon