Re: Column proposal in CSS-3 - Need for :column pse...

On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, Sjoerd Visscher wrote:

>> So with this:
>>
>>    P { display: columns; }
>>    :column { width: 10%; } /* sets the 'default' column style */
>>    :column(last) { width: 90%; background: url(end) bottom no-repeat; }
>>
>> First, 10 columns would initially fit, but once the :column(last)
>> style is applied, it is found that the last column doesn't fit, and
>> so is cut off.
>>
>> So now what? Is column 9 styled using :column(last), or do we stop
>> here? If we stop here, the "end" image won't be displayed, probably
>> counter to the author's intentions.
>
> No, as I see it the algorithm should be:
> 1. try to fit as much columns as possible, without applying
> :column(last)
> 2. apply :column(last)
> 3. if the columns still fit we are ready
> 4. if the columns do not fit, decrease the number of columns with
> one and goto step 2. again.

Hmm. Yep, that should work.

Ok, consider the :column(last) idea added to my column proposal:
accepts all properties except 'display', is applied to each last
column in turn until one fits (or we are applying it to the first
column, in which case it is applied unconditionally).

--
Ian Hickson
"I take a Professor Bullett approach to my answers. There's a high