RE: Why no Parent Selector?

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 14:27:48 -0600, David Wagner (dwagner@kevric.com)
wrote:

> crashed on attempt to send it.  In a nutshell, there seems to be nothing to
> prevent using more than one :subject pseudo-class in a single selector.
>
> 	DIV.draft:subject INS:subject {}
>
> This can be useful and help with selector brevity; it's the same as the
> following.
>
> 	DIV.draft:subject INS, DIV.draft INS {}
>
>  However, what happens when you use the following?
>
> 	DIV.big SPAN.big {font-size:200%;}
>
> Is the font-size of SPAN.big 200% or 400% of the parent of DIV.big?

It would be 200% (why anything else?), assuming no intermediate
elements had matching rules with the font-size property.  However, if
your proposal above were adopted, I would think the rule

DIV.big:subject SPAN.big:subject {font-size:200%;}

would make the font-size of a span with class="big" 400% the size of
the parent of the div with class="big" (assuming no intermediate
elements had matching font-size rules).  Was that what you were
asking?

-David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >