Re: font-size and accents, again

Erik van der Poel wrote:

> When the line-height is 1, the distance from baseline to baseline should
> be the same as the font size. Since some glyphs actually protrude above
> or below the em square, it is possible to get glyph collisions when the
> line-height is 1. That is another good reason for selecting a better
> value for line-height. Opera 3.60 and MSIE5 (without image) give the
> correct results for line-height.
>
> It seems to me that the background should be as tall as the inline
> element. Since David's page selects a line height of 1, some glyphs
> stick out of the inline box. Opera 3.60 correctly colors the background
> only inside the inline box.

So it seems that a corollary of that is that padding should be set to
(as a minimum) whatever leading is added, as a good design rule.
Otherwise, accents may protude outside the background+padding area.

> So it looks like Opera 3.60 is the only one to get all of them right.

I reported the (less than optimal) results on ICE5 to icesoft and they
have fixed some of it already.

--
Chris