Re: Why is the W3c so 'closed'?

--- "Christopher R. Maden" <crism@exemplary.net>
wrote:
> >crism@exemplary.net (Christopher R. Maden) writes:
> >
> >> Privacy allows large competitive companies to
> join and participate
> >> without surrendering strategic advantage.
> >
> >This I cannot accept, because the WG must, by
> definition, have more
> >competitor participation than public discussion
> forums.
>
> The alternative was non-participation from Microsoft
> and Netscape, just
> like in the IETF process whose failure (at HTML)
> necessitated the formation
> of the W3C.  If fully open processes worked here,
> the W3C never would have
> been founded.
Syllogism:
1. MS-Dos 4 sucked and was buggy and no-one used it
2. MS-Dos 4 was produced by a closed process.
Conclusion:
Closed processes suck.

Syllogism:
1. HTML 3.0 was too big and no-one used it.
2. HTML 3.0 was produced by an open process.
Conclusion:
Open processes suck.

Perhaps someone would like to point out the major
logical error?!

> Browsers are consumer applications.
Lucky really.
Only consumers (because they are ignorant) would
tolerate the stuff that they are pushed.

=====