Re: font-size and accents, again

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 13:57:55 -0800, erik@netscape.com (Erik van der
Poel) wrote:

> OK. But if backwards compatibility is a consideration (and I think it
> should be), then we cannot change the em, either. It should probably
> continue to mean the max height of the font, if that's what most
> installed copies of browsers do.

The problem with that is that it's massively inconsistent, since the
'em' is just a particular type of <length>, and it would be rather
strange to say that the 'em' means different things for different
properties (since for all properties other that 'line-height', the 'em'
reliably refers to the font-size requested).

Furthermore, 'em' units for 'line-height' are unsafe, so their use
should be discouraged anyway.

-David

L. David Baron    Sophomore, Harvard (Physics)    dbaron@fas.harvard.edu
Links, SatPix, CSS, etc.     <URL: http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~dbaron/ >