RE: Official statement from Microsoft concerning CSS, XSL and US Patent No. 5,860,073

The statement and this post are a "no-op", meaning a lot of electrons
passing to no affect.  If the patent stands against CSS/XSL in the US, and
anyone developing to them has to "license" to them, they have to watch
their backs, even with companies such as Sun and Adobe offering bounties
for well designed XSL implementations.

This is a nail in the CSS/XSL coffin, many more of which could shore up
their fate, within the US.  Any time you have to throw IP and patent
attorneys into the mix, nobody but IP and patent attorneys benefit, and
don't tell me for a second that just because Chris Wilson posts a note
with the help of MS IP attorneys to the net that the companies affected
that can afford it aren't going to run it past their attorneys and the
ones who can't are either going to worry that some lumbering giant might
not come along and try to take their work away.

And, unless the patent is put in the public domain, the big companies with
their own patents to use as leverage won't worry, because, whether the
patent is worthwhile or not, it's easier for them to trade than to
challenge it, and the companies that don't have patents to trade worry
that despite what that nice Chris Wilson and his IP attorneys say, should
MS choose to persue someone for patent infringement, and it happens to be
a small operator, the small operator may beat it out in court, but the
small operator is likely to loose his shirt defending it.

So, your posts, to a large extent, are wasted electrons, when taking the
company you keep into consideration.  And considering some of the other
fuzzy patents that have been awarded to a certain company based in Redmond
that appear to be against other web technologies, not that they're the
only or biggest offender in this regard.

The long and the short of it, and the reason behind the post, is don't
insult the people on this forum with feeble attempts to defend MS's
position WRT this patent, and discuss what the patent patents, ostensibly
CSS/XSL, until someone else can come up with a different scheme that
definitely won't infringe on this patent, and puts it into the public
domain, and we can all move toward that.  Perhaps something like
SGML/DSSSL.

Matt