Re: When font-size and font size collide

----- Original Message -----
From: James Green <www-style@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk>
To: <www-style@w3c.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 1:14 PM
Subject: When font-size and font size collide

> Hi,
>
> I've been constructing this new site which is generated by php scripts,
> and since pages are done on-the-fly from a database, CSS is being used to
> keep all styles consistent.
>
> On the front page I'm using a normal p tag which is defined as arial size
> 10pt. This works great, but when I do:

> the text stays at 10pt. Now, my interpretation of inheritance (which I've
> not read up on to any large extent) is that the closest-instruction to the
> object is obeyed, i.e. the P tag's 10pt, which gets overridden by the font
> tag.
>
> The problem occurs in Netscape Communicator 4.6. Since I use Linux, I
> can't test in IE, but bearing in mind that no browser is yet fully
> CSS-functional, I thought it best to ask you guys what the proper system
> is and implement it ready for Mozilla 5. If I can be backward compatible I
> will be, but not if I have to generate a lot of CSS and font tags
> everywhere.
>
> I can use <p style="font-size: 14pt">This is bigger</p> but this seems
> like an uneccessary waste of bytes...
>
> Any thoughts?

If you simply specify the style

  font { font-size: 100%; }

the effects of the SIZE attribute of FONT should be eliminated in a CSS
browser. You can then specify the appropriate sizes with styles applied to
more structurally informative elements. Nullifying the effects of the other
attributes requires the "inherit" property value, which unfortunately is not
yet supported in any released browsers. You can experiment with it in
Mozilla, though.

--
Braden N. McDaniel
braden@endoframe.com