Re: color in CSS

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998 16:19:50 EST, you wrote:

>CSS and/or HTML needs the ability to define names for colors, preferrably
>grouped in a list. Much easier to think of a named color than its numeric
>definition. CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) and HLS (hue, luminance /
>lightness, saturation) color models would help. Also, a few new standard color
>names would help. Something like:

Are you familiar at all with the named colours which already exist,
and are supported (to some extent) by IE4x and NN4x? Opera 3.5 only
supports the 16 named colours mentioned in the CSS recommendation.
There are several of these lists available. One is:

<URI:http://css.nu/pointers/colornames.html>

When I got to "lightgoldenrodyellow",  hit me why we'd probably never
have a lighter shade of that pale (> 20 letters!).

>color-list {
>	{ "ColorName", #ABCDEF },
>	/* a few proposed standard color names */
>	{ "Charcoal", #404040 },
>	{ "Brown", cmyk(50%, 75%, 100%, 0%) }, /* note cmyk( ) is also new */
>	{ "Orange", rgb(255, 128, 0) },
>	{ "Beige", #CCAA66 },
>	{ "Cream", #FFE599 },
>	{ "CyanBlue", #0080FF },
>	{ "Cyan", #00FFFF }, /* = Aqua */
>	{ "Magenta", #FF00FF }, /* = Fuchsia */

Fuchsia is already a named colour. For the other 16, see
<URI:http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/syndata.html#color-units>

--
Sue Sims         mailto:sue@css.nu
http://css.nu/