Re: Margin properties apply to all elements

I wrote:
>Why complicate the spec with alternate properties and exceptions? Why
>not simply expand the definition of margins to encompass absolute
>positioning?

Ah, I see! (said the blind carpenter, as he picked up his hammer and saw
and answered himself). Simplification thwarted by relative positioning,
which leaves margins behind.

OK, other arguments for no exceptions on margins:

(1) A new container is created by absolute positioning, so why shouldn't
margins be valid inside?

(2) Consider an absolutely positioned block the height of the viewport,
with auto-scroll and content deeper than the viewport. Without margins,
the content must either be given padding or enclosed in another element
to avoid having it abut the edge of the viewport and the scrollbar.

I see little use for 'position: relative', but I can see another use for
'left:', 'right:', 'top:', 'bottom:' -- 'position: float' would allow a
floated block to be placed anywhere, not just left or right.

David Perrell