Re: OPINIONS WANTED: regexps in CSS? (Re: Suggestion for Attribute Selectors)

Having previously voiced my opinion that regular expressions might
be useful in CSS, I find myself now less convinced. As David and
others have pointed out, one of the advantgages of CSS (and, in
principle, CSS2) is its simple, declarative nature. -- it can't
do everything, but what it can do -- express basic rules for
formatting and layout of content -- it does clearly.

I now tend to think that adding regex stuff would simply cloud
this simplicity, and make the whole thing harder to use.

I suspect that regular expression mechanisms, and other, more
sophisticated coding, are best left to languages such as DSSSL
or XSL -- which, in principle, could spit out appropriate CSS
rules when a document is assembled for transmission to a browser.

This assumes, of course, that there can be a clean-ish separation
between starting markup, DSSSL/XSL, CSS and "rendered" markup.
I do not know if that is always (or even often) true.

Ian