Re: IE4 using 'width'/'height' props the wrong way?

h&kon wrote:

> Jonas Salling writes:
>
> > My impression after reading the CSS2 spec. is that the following snipped
> > should produce a 200pt-wide red strip.
> > <DIV style=3D"padding-left: 20pt; padding-right: 20pt; border-left: solid
> > 20pt; border-right: solid 20pt; margin-left: 20pt; margin-right: 20pt;
> > width: 200pt;">
> > <P style=3D"background-color: red;">200 pts of red</P>
> > </DIV>
>
> Correct.
>
> > Unfortunately, IE4 (Win) seems to define 'width' as being the width of the
> > content PLUS padding and border. Is this a bug, or am I just confused after
> > having spent too many hours working with our rendering machinery?
>
> It's a bug.

In those cases where it supports percentage widths, Netscape Navigator
4 also implements this incorrectly -- I recall that Navigator 4
always measures percent widths relative to the full width of the
browser canvas, indepenent of the parent element width, or any defined
padding/margin/border...

Ian