forwarded message from Humphries, William

The enclosed message got accidently caught in the spam-filter.

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Humphries, William <WHumphri@epri.com>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 19:46:31 -0500 (EST)
  • Subject: [Spam?] More MSIE 4.0 (PPC) Strangeness
  • To: "'www-style@w3.org'" <www-style@w3.org>
  • Cc: "'Eric A. Meyer'" <emeyer@sr71.lit.cwru.edu>, "'fahrner@pobox.com'" <fahrner@pobox.com>
To follow-up on Eric's message and Todd's withheld rant about the IE 4.0
Mac release:

The attribute margin-left using percent or em units seems to be wonky as
well, the left margin appears about 40% of the way across the page.

 <HTML><HEAD><title>test</title></HEAD> <body style="margin-left: 20%;">

Try various percentages and it looks as if IE multiplies the margin-left
value by a factor of two when it displays the body.

Using px, margin-left works as advertised. Of course, following Todd's
exhortations, I would rather use relative values than absolutes.

On the other hand, a DHTML demo I wrote under IE 4.0 (Win95) behaved
correctly (as far as I understand) on IE 4.0 Mac. So I wont rant, but I
will grumble about having to do increasing convolutions to support style
sheets.

Bill Humphries <whumphri@epri.com>, Web Technologist
EPRI, Palo Alto, CA, (650) 855-7998