forwarded message from gordon

The enclosed message got accidently caught in the spam-filter.

Forwarded message 1

  • From: gordon <gordon69b@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 1998 18:52:34 -0500 (EST)
  • Subject: [Spam?] Re: MSIE 4.0 and element boxes
  • To: <www-style@w3.org>, "Eric A. Meyer" <emeyer@sr71.lit.cwru.edu>
The same rendering that you describe is had with MSIEv4.01 for Win95.
The Internet Client SDK does not list the paragraph element in the 'applies
to' section of the width property.

In the CSS-1 spec:
4.1.2    Horizontal formatting
The horizontal position and size of a non-floating, block-level element is
determined by seven properties: 'margin-left', 'border-left',
'padding-left', 'width', 'padding-right', 'border-right' and 'margin-right'.
The sum of these seven is always equal to the 'width' of the parent element.

To me this means that a paragraph whose parent is the body element will be
as wide as the body element.

later,
gordon