Re: CSS1 and tables

Chris Wilson wrote:

>Unfortunately (and believe me, I do mean "unfortunately"), legacy
>rendering disagrees with you quite strongly.  Try loading this in any
>version of Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer:
>
><B>This is bold.
><TABLE><TR><TD>
>This is not bold.
></TD></TR>
></TABLE>
>This is bold again.
></B>

I knew that worked with FONT, but thought it was illegal HTML. If that's the
legacy you chose not to support, I'd commend your forward-thinking strategy.
Inheritance gets crazy without hierarchical containment.

I suspect you are right about large numbers of sites with tables -- and much
else -- enclosed in a <FONT> element. But that legacy behavior was never
standardized. By not supporting inheritance of an ancestor's font properties
into a table, you appear to be rejecting both the CSS1 inheritance model and
the HTML specification in favor of support for non-standard legacy behavior.

'Legacy behavior' sounds nice, but the legacy of the last few years of HTML
development is a gaggle of inconsistent and unrelated elements. Please don't
corrupt the CSS inheritance model with 'exceptional' support for vestigial
perversions. Bite the bullet and cut the crap.

David Perrell