Re: CSS1 and tables

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>

>You mean margin-left and not left-margin, BTW.

Yea, I always do that wrong. :)

>Yes, it's still true in IE4 Final, and it's definitely a bug.  I tested

>doesn't allow inheritance into TABLEs of styles set on BODY.  Netscape
>seems to treat TABLEs as though they're separate documents.  (The sad part
>is that they believe this is true:  "Following their original web design,
>tables do not inherit styles from the surrounding text or style sheet."
>[1])

So we have bugs in both IE & NS version 4.0. Dear oh dear, it is _so_
difficult to get documents to display correctly.

>Different browsers will always use different vertical spacing.  You could
>suggest your own vertical spacing (e.g., margin-top on TABLE), but I'd
>imagine today's browsers would still give inconsistent (buggy) results.
>As long as you're not dependent on pixel-perfect spacing, the extra space
>browsers add when confronted with </P> shouldn't be a problem.

Oh they sure do. If you try to get a small margin-top between headings and
paragraphs in IE 3.0 you need to use a negative margin which causes
overlapping text in IE 4.0 all kinds of nastiness occurs.

The difficulty with the extra spacing is that designers get uppity about it.
:)

Here I am trying to get my team to write good HTML and we're thwated at
every turn by inconcistencies between different browser companies and even
between browser versions from the same company. (Obviously the latter
doesn't apply to Netscape coz they were too busy implementing their own
"features" to get round to style sheets until version 4.0)

Do I sound cynical about NS & MS yet? Sorry, I'm just feeling that way atm.
Huge amounts of effort is going into trying to beat their opponent (eg.
different push technologies, different DHTML definitions etc.) it seems that
they don't have time left to make the fundamentals work properly. :(

Derek

---
Derek Harding
Technical Director, TPD Publishing
http://www.tpd.com/~derek/
"It's going to look pretty good, then, isn't it," said War testily, "the
One Horseman and Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse."
        -- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery