Re: CSS vs. transitional markup [was: No Subject]

At 2:33 PM -0700 7/31/97, Josh Paluch wrote:
>I notice that in IE4 stylesheets don't trump <font> and <basefont>... is
>this by design?  (at least on windows)
>
>Of coarse, Netscape4 does just the oppisite (ie, if the same element is
>defined by both CSS and <font>, then CSS wins, even if <font> is closer
>to the element), which actually makes more sense to me.  I mean, if CSS
>would trump <font> then I could include both on a page knowing that if
>the user had a CSS browser they will get what I want them to get, but I
>can still use <font> for a little while to ensure that my design isn't
>compromised.
>
>does anyone have any suggestions how to get around the fact that IE4
>does this?

This has been discussed. I think the conclusion was that this is clearly
nonstandard in IE, and that it really should be fixed before release.

Is that right?

Todd Fahrner
mailto:fahrner@pobox.com
http://www.verso.com/

The printed page transcends space and time. The printed page, the
infinitude of books, must be transcended. THE ELECTRO-LIBRARY.

--El Lissitzky, 1923