Re: !important ( was Re: Issue 1: Font-weight and headings)

Joel N. Weber II wrote:
> I'm quite likely to arrange for !important declarations in reader
style
> sheets in GNU E-scpae to take precedence over !important declarations
> in author style sheets.  I haven't yet decided whether this will be
handled
> by ignoring the !important attribute on author style sheets, or by
> swapping the prioirties of user vs author style sheets for
!important,
> or making it user-configurable, or what.
>
> So, I'd be interested in hearing any arguements on which particular
> technique is best.

I'll argue again for reversed priority. In an organization with need
for certain style rules, !important could be used in a global
stylesheet while still allowing users with deprecated sight abilities
to apply styling overrides according to their needs. This is an
intranet thing. I'm not suggesting that reversed-priority !important
can be any kind of enforcement mechanism, but it could prevent authors
with deprecated consciousness from going too far astray. It still gives
final precedence to the reader, but allows intermediate overrides as
well.

David Perrell