Re: alternate font properties

On Jul 29,  3:32pm, David Perrell wrote:

> Chris Lilley wrote:
> > Lets suppose I have an unusual font which has the family name of
> > 'bold Palatino'.

> How is the problem of missing quotes exacerbated by the relative
> position of the commas? Is
>
>   H2 { bold Palatino, serif }
>
> any less ambiguous?

No, you are quite right. Assuming you meant

H2 { font: bold Palatino, serif }

> The size declaration is optional, so in the font
> shorthand/property, missing quotes is a firm no-no.

Correct. I think that also means that any unusual fonts called normal,
small-caps, bold, 700 etc should also be quoted even if they have no
spaces.

That should probably go on the erratta list for CSS1.

> This is a simple solution useful in simple situations, syntactically no
> less intuitive than the shorthand, yet functionally a superset. Or,
> more simply, all gain, no pain.

Some pain from the fact that the individual decalrations and the
shorthand are no longer equivalent, and some pain for those who
dynamically modify stylesheets using scripts.