Re: colours for bullets - this one is simple, works, & addresses

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, David Perrell wrote:
> Gavin Nicol wrote:
> > No. Paragraphs can have siblings, table rows can have siblings,
> > and there is most certainly a tree.
>
> If paragraphs could have tables and lists as siblings there wouldn't be
> a layout problem. Allow the structural relationship and the formatting
> problem goes away.

  I'm getting the impression here that there's some confusion about the
terminology; David's descriptions appear to indicate that he wants tables
as *children* of paragraphs, which the DTDs I've seen don't allow.  The
*sibling* relationship is there; tables can follow paragraphs and
paragraphs can follow tables, in any combination.  Table cells can have
paragraphs as children.

  I don't see any reason to allow tables as children of paragraphs;
sibling relationships should suffice.  If you want a paragraph and table
to be presented side by side using something like align=left, the use
whatever NS magic is needed or, if you want anyone to be able to read the
document, use a substantial formatting package that can take

and create a couple of flow objects that can be placed side-by-side on
the output.

  DSSSL should be able to handle this quite well.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us