Re: IMG SRC=0

At 01:31 PM 7/2/96 -0700, Todd Fahrner wrote:
>At 2:20 PM -0500 7/2/96, Chris Josephes wrote:
>
>> Suddenly we're all concerned about poetry on the web?
>
>Let's not forget about poetry's bad sister Marketing Communications and her
>consort Graphic Design. Style sheets are an elegant means of imposing a
>functional, attractive uniformity, especially on larger bodies of material.
>For one-of-a-kind effects they offer little.
>

>Todd Fahrner
>fahrner@pobox.com
>http://www.verso.com/

I've always been surprised that HTML has only one overloaded PRE
element for both code listings and "real text."  Many DTDs I've
worked with have an escape-hatch element that retains all spaces
and line breaks on output, but keeps the text in proportional font.
It's even often documented facetiously as "the 'poetry' element."

If a "correct way to format poetry" is needed, what about something
like a class attribute value on PRE to indicate just how preformatted
the text is?

        Eve

<!-- Eve Maler .............. elm@arbortext.com ....... ArborText Inc. -->
<!-- Sponsor, Davenport ..... http://www.ora.com/davenport/README.html -->
<!-- Coauthor, Developing SGML DTDs: From Text to Model to Markup .... -->
<!-- http://www.prenhall.com/013/309880/30988-0.html ................. -->