Re: IMG SRC=0

On Tue, 2 Jul 1996, Paul Prescod wrote:

> A style sheet is _not_ appropriate for the eccentric spacing of an eccentric
> poem. Neither is HTML. HTML cannot, and will never be the perfect langauge
> everything anyone wants to be. If such a language were possible, it would
> have been invented years ago.

Suddenly we're all concerned about poetry on the web?

The big thing about SPACE that was already pointed out was that it only
support measurements in PIXELS.  Thus, Emily Dickenson's greatest works
would only have been truely presentable on a seventy-two dot per inch
screen with allignment controled by SPACER and MULTICOL.  (Luckily, she
stuck to pen and paper).

Stylesheets are more flexible because they were designed for true device
independence. Work is still in progress over such things as text flow
around images, scaling, output formatting, but the stylesheet work is far
superior than anything put out by NS lately.

> PDF is perfect for a poem with eccentric layout needs and supported in
> browsers on all major GUI platforms.

Agreed.  PDF's biggest asset is page layout.  If you need to use it, use
it.  The browser is free and if people really need to read the poem
they'll download it if they haven't already.

Email |  mailto:cpj1@winternet.com
Web   |  http://www.winternet.com/~cpj1/