Re: terminology

>- In France, they often write "premier" (the first) as "1er". However,
>  they like to raise the position of "er" so that the x-line align
>  with the capline of "1". Something a la:
>   1er
>   |
>  I'd like to be able to express this in CSS (as a value of the
>  text-position property), but need a name for it. Anyone? How much
>  is it used in other countries?

In desktop publishing this is often referred to as "baseline shift."
Usually it is expressed as a measurement in whatever units have been chosen
for typesetting units. With points chosen, a baseline shift of +3 would
place the character(s) above the baseline by three points, -2 below it by
two points.

This capability is frequently used for the trademark and registered symbols
and  drop caps.

>  Considering "absolute" names, I end up with only five that are clearly
>  distinct:
>                 tiny | small | normal | large | hug

            min | tiny | small | normal | large | huge | max

(Curiously, the number of characters in each name follows a bell curve.)

kit blake

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~                                                  Amstel 222
 ELECTROGIG Europe                                        1017 AJ  Amsterdam                                          The Netherlands

Received on Wednesday, 27 September 1995 07:05:16 UTC