Re: draft-ietf-html-style-00.txt & class as a general selector

lilley@afs.mcc.ac.uk writes:

 > >  > Someone who personally hates strike-through but their device supports it
 > >  > has no option but to live with it. Their style sheet cannot over-ride
 > >  > yours. You have removed freedom of choice from the reader by not naming
 > >  > the distinctiveness of your para 14
 > >
 > > No. In CSS, the reader can supply a personal style sheet and by
 > > labelling declarations as "important", they will override the author's
 > > style, including STYLE attributes.
 >
 > Could you elaborate exactly how that works? I don't see how the
 > readers style sheet can influence the presentation of an un-named
 > ad-hoc peice of stylesheet on an individual element.

Incoming document:

  ..
  <P STYLE="text-decoration: underline">underlined text</P>
  ..

The UA would display the paragraph underlined until someting like this
is found in the reader's personal style sheet:

  P { text-decoration: none !important }

To learn more about why and when rules override each other, see [1].

[1] http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/TR/WD-css1-951123.html#cascading

Regards,

-h&kon

http://www.w3.org/People/howcome  howcome@w3.org