Re: SWRL Implementations

Somaya Aboulwafa wrote:

> Many thanks for all your replies.
>
> I have two questions here, you said that: "The SWRLTab performs
> inference using a Jess back end and while the implementation supports
> nearly all of SWRL it does not consider all OWL axioms during
> inference. However, the latest Protege-OWL 3.4 beta also has a direct
> connection to the Pellet reasoner, which has a much more formally
> sound implementation of SWRL, and is also under active development.
> However, Pellet has limited built-in support."
>
> Does this mean that if I used SWRLTab with Jess back-end then I won't
> be able to reason over all the OWL axioms in my swrl ontology? If so,
> is there any workaround to this problem?

The Jess back end is very much a partial implementation. When I
developed it (in 2005) there were no usable SWRL implementations. Pellet
and other OWL reasoners with SWRL support should eventually replace it.

However, in the work that we have been doing with SWRL in the past
several years and judging from user emails in the Protege-OWL mailing
list, it became clear that SWRL's built-in support is invaluable when
tacking many types of problems. In addition to the core built-in library
described in the SWRL Submission, I have implemented libraries to work
with XML documents, temporal information, and to support direct TBox
querying. I have also implemented a built-in library that effectively
turns SWRL into a query language - called SQWRL. There is also a
subsystem that allows developers to write their own built-in libraries
in Java [1].

Since current reasoners do not have strong built-in support and no
convenient mechanism to incorporate new libraries, the Jess back end is
essential for our current needs.

> Also if I used SWRLTab with Pellet then I won't be able to make use of
> the SWRL-builtins implmemntation made by SWRLTab?!

No.

Martin O'Connor

[1] SWRL Built-in Bridge:
http://protege.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action=browse&id=SWRLBuiltInBridge&revision=5