RE: Question regarding open vs closed formulas (n3)

From: Wagner, G.R. <G.R.Wagner@tm.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 16:35:14 +0200
To: "Jeff Heflin" <heflin@cse.lehigh.edu>, "Seth Ladd" <seth@brivo.net>
Cc: <www-rdf-rules@w3.org>

> In the database community, there has been work on something
> called Local Closed World (LCW) information to deal with these
> kinds of problems. In effect, an LCW statement says that such
> and such a source has complete information with respect to some
> topic. Unfortunately, thereis nothing like this in RDF, DAML+OIL,
> or OWL. Hector Munoz-Avila and I wrote a paper last year arguing
> for LCW on the Semantic Web,

Thanks for the reference to your paper. Handling "local"
(predicate-specific) completeness assumptions leads to a
partial logic formalism with two negations. I have a report
on this topic which was not accepted for ISWC'03,
unfortunately :-( Please consult
http://tmitwww.tm.tue.nl/staff/gwagner/myruleml/SemWebNeg.pdf

We also discussed this topic in the RuleML Steering Committee,
and we will probably suggest some constructs to handle it in
future versions of RuleML.

-Gerd

Gerd Wagner
http://tmitwww.tm.tue.nl/staff/gwagner/