RE: Why Triples? (was Re: What do the ontologists want)

>But if the Semantic Web is going to be useful to both people and
>machines, and not just machine-readable protocol, then aesthetics
>are going to play a role whether you like it or not. Make two tools
>available for the people, one taking aesthetics into account and the
>other not, it seems bloody more likely that the crowd will gravitate
>towards the aesthetic one. Remember, the Semantic Web is eventually
>going to have to play to sell-out crowds if it is going to fly.

Sure, I agree. But the reaction one gets is that it will always be
possible to use human-oriented browsers/editors that let people see
things in pretty forms, and under the hood it can all be put into a
'normal' form. (Eg check out Jonathan Borden's recent replies to me
on this thread.) I'm not agreeing, just telling you how the arguments
go. So one needs to make a case for the 'normal form' being more
efficient, or something, rather than just an aesthetic case. And
until one gets right down to actual inference-finding, the
disadvantages of the binary reduction are only linear. Linear is
nothing these days.

Pat Hayes