Re: What do the ontologists want

From: tim finin <finin@cs.umbc.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 12:53:07 -0400
To: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
CC: lkagal1@cs.umbc.edu, finin@umbc.edu
pat hayes wrote:
> Can you (or anyone) say why the ability to quote is considered a
> practical necessity? From where I am standing it seems an arcane and
> exotic ability, not one that is of central practical
> importance. What is the practical utility of being able to refer to a predicate,
> rather than use it?

We're working on models for representing and reasoning about security,
authorization, delegation etc and find a need to represent speech
acts such as one agent's assertion that it delegates a permission to
another agent.  An agent's obligations and permissions
can be determined by reasoning from the representation of the security
policy together with a set of validly signed public speech acts.  Our approach is
to try to use DAML to represent the FIPA communicative acts and associated
parameters as well as a FIPA compliant content language.

--
 Tim Finin, Prof Computer Science & Electrical Eng, Director Inst. for Global
 Electronic Commerce, U Maryland Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop, Baltimore MD