Re: What do the ontologists want?

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 15:49:21 -0500
To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
Cc: www-rdf-logic@w3.org
>Ron Daniel wrote:
>
> > We will have
> > lots of statements such as
> >   <dc:subject rdf:resource="http://example.org/NAICS/1234"/>
> > which is a reference to a (hypothetical) node in the
> > NAICS industry sector classification system.
> >
> > We need to be able to tell certain things about these
> > statements, ...
> > One way of accomplishing those needs would be through
> > reification, although the current reification approach seems
> > overly cumbersome. Perhaps others can suggest other ways
> > of fulfilling those requirements.
> >

>Certainly being able to quote statements/triples is useful ... indeed a
>practical requirement.

Can you (or anyone) say why the ability to quote is considered a
practical necessity? From where I am standing it seems an arcane and
exotic ability, not one that is of central practical importance. What
is the practical utility of being able to refer to a predicate,
rather than use it?

Pat Hayes

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes