Re: function terms in Euler, n3, and RDF [was: gedcom-relation e

At 12:09 AM 3/7/01 -0600, Dan Connolly wrote:
> > In general, I think it's better practice to name the elements of a
> > tuple (making it what?  an "object"?  a "record"?  an "associative
> > array"?  a relation in its own right?).
>
>Sometimes. But sum generalizes so nicely to the n-ary case that
>the list idiom is awfully appealing.

I thought so too.

> >  People are used to anonymous
> > (positional) parts for the addition relation, but I'll name them
> > anyway:
> >
> >    :anon1 a arith:BinarySum
> >          arith:left 3
> > arith:right 4
> > arith:result :_7
>
>arith:left is exactly the same as :of , and
>arith:right is exactly the same as :and.
>
>Perhaps :of and :and were too obscure/clever names. Evidently so.

I think so...  I think it can be tricky to try and map natural usage into
formalizations.  It's better, I think, to adopt terms that, in isolation,
convey some of the intended meaning.

#g

Graham Klyne
GK@NineByNine.org