Re: problems with concise bounded descriptions

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 09:28:31AM +0300, Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

> [...]

Just to clarify my point, I'm talking about a human-engineering issue:
Would the proliferation of CBDs encourage developers of vocabularies
to take advantage of them even though it incurs some cost to modeling
consistency or clarity?

I don't think it can be answered by a technical argument, but instead
has to be cast in terms of benefit vs. cost.

> Firstly, CBDs are resource-centric, and meant to be the most concise,
> smallest body of knowledge about a particular named resource that
> an agent can obtain per a single request, based on the URI denoting
> that resource.
>
> Secondly, CBDs are not intended as a replacement/alternate to a more
> general query solution.

Ahh, but will they, to whatever degree?

> Thirdly, CBDs are not intended to be the only possible form of response
> to a question "tell me about this thing".
>
> Fourthly, CBDs identify a subset of a graph, and I honestly can't
> imagine
> how that would constrain or influence how a given developer would
> express
> knowledge about resources, since even if CBDs are provided by some
> service,
> there will likely be other means of access to that information. So I'd
> need to see some pretty explicit and motivating use cases before I'm
> convinced that your main problem with CBDs is a real issue.

Dan Brickely has some experience here. He said that RSS authors asked
to have foaf:depiction reversed and called foaf:depicts so that it
would be easier to express as a tree in RDF/XML. The same with
foaf:made and foaf:maker. Maybe the influence of CBDs will be
different than that of the convenient expression of RDFXML, but the
parallel is clear.

> Finally, while there can be some application areas where "arcs-in"
> information is useful/necessary, in many applications, it can result
> in a huge number of statements in a graph. As an extreme case, consider
> a request for a CBD for rdf:Resource where inference is enabled...
> Again, CBDs are not intended to replace a general query facility, or
> some other form of "resource view" which would accomodate retrieval
> of "arcs-in" knowledge.

Points 1 and 4 have a heuristic support from the way people have
tended to model data, but they do make an assumption about how it's
organized. Serialization and model constraints (no literals as
subjects) do encourage this model.

--
-eric