Re: A question for RDF parser implementers - whitespace

At 10:10 11/07/04 +0100, Damian Steer wrote:

>On 9 Jul 2004, at 14:09, Graham Klyne wrote:
>

>>Hmmm.  Let's try a test case.
>>
>>Does this:
>>
>>      <dc:title>  The trouble with spaces   </dc:title>

>>RDF-entail this:
>>
>>      <dc:title
>> rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">  The trouble
>> with spaces   </dc:title>

>>I think it should, but under your suggested regime I think it would not.
>
>I think the specs support Norm's regime here. Try this:
>
><dc:title xml:lang="en"> The trouble with spaces </dc:title>
>
>A reasonable extension of your inference would give:
>
><dc:title xml:lang="en"
>rdf:datatype="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema#string">  The trouble with
>spaces   </dc:title>

(Ignoring the language tags) I would not accept that as an expected
entailment.  They are different string values.

>But (strangely, I confess) the latter is invalid rdf: only plain literals
>can have langs.
>
>So you either maintain the orthogonality of plain- and datatyped-literals,
>or you get a weird restriction on rdf entailments ("...except for
>lang-tagged literals").

I would also say that the entailment does not hold for the same string with
different language tags, or with- and without- a language tag.

#g

Graham Klyne
For email:
http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact