Re: URI: Name or Network Location?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 09:35:35AM -0800, Joshua Allen wrote:
> Furthermore, the DNS portion of the URI is as much about
> delineating naming authority as it is about locating a port for GET
> operations.

Yup.  IMO, the confusion stems primarily (solely?) from the fact that
the same string is used for both purposes.  But that's not a
requirement of the architecture, it's just a bit easier to manage.  It
doesn't mean that we couldn't have defined the http URI scheme like
so;

  http://ExampleCo/foo/bar

and in the definition of the scheme, define a transform that takes
that string and converts it to a hostname ("www.example.com") when
dereferencing the URI.

Mark.