RE: URI: Name or Network Location?

Hi Nikita:

pii = Publisher Item Identifier

One link for this is giving a brief one-page overview is at
<http://www.aip.org/epub/piipr.html>. (I'm not quite sure where the
defintive spec is housed these days.)

	"A Publisher Item Identifier (PII) to provide unique and concise
identification of individual published documents has been adopted by the
American Chemical Society, American Institute of Physics, American Physical
Society, Elsevier Science, and IEEE. The PII will begin to appear in the
journals of these publishers from January 1996. Use of the PII is intended
to provide a simple means of document identification which is needed in a
digital environment."

The PII is now largely superseded by the DOI (or Digital Object Identifier),
see <http://www.doi.org>, although it is still being used by some
publishers.

Why not a URN? See the FAQ:

	http://www2.elsevier.co.uk/~tony/info/info.html#use_urn