URIs Re: Getting RDF data into HTML

Hi Cameron,

this isn't something that is apparently agreed. My feeling is that you can
use a URI however you want, just like you can a word in a natural language,
but that you are much better off ensuring you're not doing something
incompatible with what other people do.

I would suggect that you use the approach of FOAF:

  <re:Movie><foaf:homepage rdf:resource="http://www.imdb.com..."

(Hmm, I guess that's what the re:webpage property does actually). If you want
to you can define a node that refers to this Movie, of course.

Note that there is work on a "semantic meaning" spec, which would apparently
claim that there is a defined meaning for the URI that someone else created.

I'm also not a big fan of using a URI that refers to a page for referring to
a concept. It means that it isn't possible to distinguish between the page
and something identifiedd in the page, which strikes me as a bad confusion to
create.

Of course this sugggests that if you're going to use an identifier you should
define it yourself with a URI you control, since if someone else does put an
RDF schema there and defines it as something else you'll look a bit silly to
anyone who does de-reference it.

just some thioughts...

Chaals