RE: HTTP Methods

-------- Original Message --------
> From: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com <>
> Date: 26 February 2004 03:34
>
> Having to make two requests to get back (typically) the same amount
> of information that a HEAD request would return is inefficient. It makes
> SW agents "second class citizens" of the web because they have to do
> twice as much work to get the information they need to function.

Abstractly, what is required is a way to get from the URI of the resource to
the description.  Ideally, the description would itself have a URI.

The way MGET does this is implicit - by directing a new operation to the
location of the original URL, it is retrieving (a representation of) the
description.  There isn't a URI for the description (of course, the
description or the response could contain one).

One way is to ask other places about the resource of interest.  3rd party
assertions about resource will be useful.  But even without that, it is
still possible to come up with ways that do the mapping from resource URI to
description URI.

The obvious suggestion: do a HEAD (or OPTIONS) operation and have a response
header field.  But that is an extra round trip.  (Aside: The round trip is
most likely to the same server and there is a connection already set up.)

Or is it?  Suppose what is returned in the HEAD response is a rule for
getting from resource URL to description URL.  This rule could apply to this
this resource uniquely or to some wider part of URL-space, such as all URLs
on this server.  So the rule has a transformation from resource URL to
description URL and a scope.  The rule would be cacheable.  All further URLs
in the scope do not require an extra round trip.

There are probably many improvements that could be made but at least we
haven't required new servers versions nor new client toolkits -
java.net.URLConnection in Java's up to 1.5.0 only work with one of the 7
verbs (HttpURLConenction checks the name of the verb).

The description gets a URI, the extension to 3rd party assertions about the
resource is natural, and, usually, there is no double round trip.  There are
probably other, better ways - but, to me, the case for a new verb is yet not
proven.

	Andy