Re[2]: OWL mismatch example: Taxonomies VS. the semantic web?

Morten Christensen (mortench2003@yahoo.dk) schrieb am 11.09.2003:
>In particular, my key problem with your ontological approach is that it
>appears not to provide out-of-the-box reasoner support for my classification
>question: "which (articles) exist that are about WineGrape?" (If I am wrong
>about the reasoner support for your apprach, please let me know - I would be
>very interested!!)
>
>Note that with the taxonomy approach out-of-the-box reasoner support does
>exist, since the reasoner will propagate instances (informantion object)
>UP(!!) the class (topic/subject) inheritance chain. This makes is possible to
>give correct answers to all needed taxonomy and classification questions.

APIs that support RQL can handle RDF Schema semantics such as inheritance
of Classes and Properties. If you had an ontology like:

---Classes:---

- Topic

- InformationObject
   - Website
   - Book

---Property Definitions:---

- isAbout
   [domain=InformationObject]
   [range=Topic]

- subTopicOf
   [domain=Topic]
   [range=Topic]
   [type=TransitiveProperty]

---Instances:---

GrapeTopic (type=Topic)

WineGrapeTopic (type=Topic, subTopicOf GrapeTopic)

CabernetSauvignonGrapeTopic (type=Topic, subTopicOf WineGrapeTopic)

SomeCabernetSauvigonWebsite (type=Website, isAbout CabernetSauvignonGrapeTopic)

--- Query ---

RQL-aware APIs like Sesame should then offer the full functionality
you have in mind for your taxonomy. something like

   select X
   from InformationObject{X}.isAbout{Y}
   where Y = GrapeTopic

(I am not sure if my RQL is valid) should find the
SomeCabernetSauvigonWebsite or any other Resource that is an
InformationObject and is about Grape.

still too complex and expensive?

greetinx,
benjamin