Re[2]: OWL mismatch example: Taxonomies VS. the semantic web?

Morten Christensen (mortench2003@yahoo.dk) schrieb am 11.09.2003:

>Benjamin Nowack <office@e-senses.de> wrote:
>>hmm. wouldn't the only question you can ask a reasoner be:
>>"which articles exist that ARE_A WineGrape?"?
>No, since this is really an taxonomy this example (as you would say: )
>"misuse" IS_A as a NARROWER/BROADER relation and INSTANCE_OF as an ABOUT
>relation.
Not so in OWL (as far as i know). You can model taxonomies that
are based on weaker semantics with OWL, but you must not use the
subClassOf construct then, as this is "reserved" for IS_A relations.
Am I wrong or would you agree that you don't use rdfs the way it's
meant to be used? If so, we can get back to your initial question
that you reposted at the bottom of your reply:
>consider what will happen when a
>reasoner runs on a mix of my OWL taxonomy and a OWL wine ontology.
yes, that's a more tricky thing. that will depend on how (or if?)
the SW will prosper. when your OWL says a "Book" is_a "WineGrape",
than an OWL-based system that accepts your assertions will
produce inconsistent results. I know that the SW builds on an
open world assumption and I think I somewhere read a paper about
a solution how to deal with such type of situations (using reified
statements was the approach).think of html meta-tags that are now
ignored by google etc. because of their misuse by website
marketing folks. this touches the "web of trust" topic. If some
highly trustworthy user in the wine community states that people
should put no trust in your statements, then a WOT-enabled
application could just disregard your triples. Unfortunately
I don't know much about this stuff, I'm still trying to get the
ontology level implemented.. ;-)

To öl, tak,
benjamin

benjamin nowack