Re: identifiers and literal semantics

Garret Wilson wrote:

> Maybe I'm misunderstanding literals, because I'm having a bit of a
> problem using them and understanding how they work with identifiers.
> Please let me know where I'm going wrong.

You would be alot better off if you consider literals and resources as
disjoint.

> As I understand them, a literal is simply a lexical representation of
> some value. The string "5", for instance, stands for the value of the
> fifth counting number, but there could be other lexical
> representations for the same value (e.g. "V" in Roman numerals, or the
> Urdu character for "5").

Yes but the literal that stands for the number 5 is not "5" rather
"5"^^xsd:int where the xsd:int datatype represents the lexical to value
mapping. The lexical space
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#lexical-space of xsd:int/xsd:decimal
requires decimal digits, and does not allow roman numerals (that might
be another datatype e.g. foo:roman).

> That's fine, so far, but how do I *identify* the string of characters
> I'm talking about---"5"?

Simply as a literal i.e. "5" => "5"

Jonathan