abouteach etc Re: Alertbox: Site map usability (fwd)

First, let me note that this sort of thing seems to be of reasonably broad
interest, so please keep the discussion in an archived list for later
reference.

Another use case is the EARL vocabulary under development at the moment by
W3C's Evaluation and Repair Tools group, part of the Web Accessibility
Initiative domain.

The basic idea is very similar to PICS - being able to express conformance to
some requirements. It assumes that you will have a URI that describes a
particular set of requirements (these could be accessibility, suitability for
children, or anything else) and can point to that.

One of the aspects that hasn't been fully explored in the draft specification
available - http://www.w3.org/TR/EARL10 - is how to locate the things that
are the subject of the claim. Some work has been done for making claims about
a part of a page (for example a particular image is a problem, without saying
anything about the rest of the page).

An approach that has been mooted is to have RDF content that describes the
things the statement s about - whether an Xpointer, or a reference to a
web service that provides a pointer into something for which xpointer or URI
syntax does not give a formal definition (e.g. a range in non well-formed
pseudo-HTML). This could equally be RDF that discusses a regexp, although the
implications of this haven't been completely considered (they are tricky...)

more later - I am on a stopover and need to run again

cheers

Charles McCN