Re: subclasses (RDF vocabulary definitions)

Richard H. McCullough wrote:

> I like to talk about reality.

Well, so do I.

> Man subsumes all men, past, present and future.
>
> Ditto for Animal.

> if  Animal  rdfs:sameAs  Man

There isn't any such thing as rdfs:sameAs;  that's why I didn't put an
rdfs prefix on it in my example.  I was using that term to try to
describe an aspect of rdfs:subClassOf that we were talking about.

> it means that Animal and Man are identical,
>
> that Man is an alias of Animal and vice versa.

Yep.

> Now if you're going to tell me that RDFS can't describe reality,
>
> then I'm not interested in RDFS.

RDFS can't describe reality.  It can describe some parts of reality,
adequately for many useful purposes (as a number of people have found).
  Richer languages (like OWL) can describe more of reality, and still
richer languages can describe even more of reality.

But it seems as if we're fated to want to use different language to talk
about reality, even the small corner of reality dealing with computer
languages for describing (parts of) reality!

--Frank